If you are in HR, you’re no stranger to compliance management, forms, and deadlines—though keeping them all in order may be a different story. We want to be sure you are equipped with the right information to keep everything on track throughout the year, from ACA to FLSA.
That is why we put together the HR compliance calendar, to bring you an important list of dates and deadlines you need to know to keep your workplace on track.
In this month’s compliance calendar, you’ll find the key topics to keep your Company up-to-date including employee awareness and
required or recommended training.
|*NEW: Monthly Compliance Calendar Consultations –A monthly webinar with a Compliance Consultant to guide you through HR compliance tasks and topics. Reach out to your dedicated HR Manager to find out how to register for the monthly Compliance Calendar Webinar!|
- Not applicable to HUB100 or GHR Hotline Clients
- New Year’s Day – January 1
- MLK Day – 3rd Monday in January
Important Dates and Deadlines for this Month
- W2 forms must be issued to every employee that worked for you in 2022 to report the employee’s annual wages and taxes withheld.
Topics to Discuss and/or Review
1. Record retention: Maintain necessary records and purge outdated records. (See laws on I-9 record retention). For clients with access to the Forms Library, references to this section can be found in the folder “United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS)” and the folder “Personnel Files.”
2. Update all internal resources for appropriate year limits and reporting requirements.
3. Review required employee communications for the upcoming year.
- Post new compliance posters, update required pamphlets and wage orders (if necessary). Feel free to reach out to our sales team at firstname.lastname@example.org to place an order for the required materials.
- Check to see what requirements in your City/State has for required notices/employee communications. For clients with access to the Forms Library, references to this section can be found in the folder “Hiring” in the subfolder, “New Hire Packets.” Select your state and see the requirements for posters/notices here.
4. Review 2023 Employment Law Changes. For clients with access to the Forms Library, Guardian HR has summarized the key topic areas covered and provided a list of the laws, organized by jurisdiction. This list is available in the Forms Library > Employment Law Overview by State in the “2023 Updates By State – GHR” document.
5. Work with benefits broker to ensure that all filing deadlines for benefits plans and health care reform elements are met (such as quarterly disclosure notices for 401(k) plans, etc.).
6. Review Employee Personnel Documents for upcoming Evaluations. For clients with access to the Forms Library, references to this section can be found in the folder “Performance.”
7. Prepare for employees’ performance evaluations by comparing past evaluations noting current level of performance, examining the progress made since the last review, and establishing goals for employees’ next review.
8. Determine if any salary increases should be made at this time based on performance, productivity, seniority and other lawful factors contemplated by the Company.
9. Schedule Annual Performance Evaluations. For clients with access to the Forms Library, references to this section can be found in the folder “Performance” in the “Performance Appraisals, Reviews and Forms” subfolder.
10. Follow through with Performance Evaluations. For clients with access to the Forms Library, references to this section can be found in the folder “Performance.”
- For clients with access to the Forms Library, see the specific document, “Conducting Performance Appraisals During the Coronavirus Pandemic” which can be found in the folder “Performance” > “Performance Appraisals, Reviews and Forms”
11. Determine if the evaluation was effective (i.e., notice any changes in employee’s work quality or quantity, or any changes in employee’s performance after evaluation.
- Do employees need to be put on Performance Improvement Plan? For clients with access to the Forms Library, see the specific documents, “Performance Improvement Plan Template”, “Performance Improvement Plan – How to Establish”, and “Managing Employee Performance” which can be found in the folder “Performance” > “Performance Improvement Plans (PIP)”
12. Finalize Employee Handbook (If applicable). To finalize your handbook, please reach out to your dedicated HR Manager or CLICK HERE TO GET STARTED
13. Distribute updated Employee Handbook or updates to Company Polices, collect and store Employee Handbook Acknowledgements, and/or contractual agreements in employee personnel files.